X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB to serial port cable - Computer without serial port

New computers (mostly laptops) are coming out now with no serial ports. This presents a problem with a serial port connection to a CAT repeater controller or the weather receivers when programming with a configuration editor.

To remedy this problem, CAT has tested one of the many USB to serial port cables and found the following to work well. This cable has been verified for operation with USB-compatible Windows operating systems: 98, ME, 2000, and XP.

Manufacture Rabbit Semiconductor RS-232-to-USB Converter Cable.

Availably from Mouser Electronics Part Number 694-540-0070 $39.00

73's,
    AL - CAT

Cable

Hey Al,
    Was this the only cable that will work? Do you have a wiring diagram for this cable?

Comment

USB to serial port cable

Hi Kevin,

Most likely there are other USB-to-Serial conversion cables that will work OK. The one I listed happen to be one I tried just to identify any problems that may arise from using these conversion cable assemblies. This one had worked as expected.

I do not have any schematics for this converter assembly nor are any available from this manufacture that I could locate. However the main conversion IC used is from FTDI and they do have some schematics on their site that may be helpful to you.

http://www.ftdichip.com/

73's,
      AL - CAT

Comment

Thanks Al,

Comment

Working...
        X